You might not think of electricians when it comes to energy efficiency. But there is a lot that an electrician can do help your home become more energy efficient. Wiretech's experienced electricians can help you with many energy efficient upgrades and can help you determine which energy efficiency upgrades are most cost-effective with the greatest return on your investment. With today's need to go “Green” we have listed some tips below that will help you conserve energy and lower that all too high power bill.
Did you know that electric lighting accounts for up to 25% of the average home energy budget? That is definitely an area where you can find savings.
LED light bulbs use about 85% less electricity than traditional incandescent light bulbs. CFL / fluorescent light bulbs use about 75% less electricity than standard light bulbs.
If you replaced 20 incandescent bulbs with LED light bulbs throughout your home, by one estimate, you could save up to $3,260 over 20+ year life of the LED bulb. By another estimate, you would save over $5,000!
Do you want to save substantial money on your electric bill, make your life easier, and as a by-product of saving money, help the environment?
Ceiling fans not only look nice in your home but can provide you with energy savings when used properly and in conjunction with your heating and cooling system. When you're using air conditioning, a ceiling fan allows you to raise the thermostat setting about 4°F with no reduction in comfort (energy.gov). Just remember that ceiling fans cool people, not rooms... If the room is unoccupied, turn off the ceiling fan to save energy. See these websites for more information.
- Ceiling Fan Hacks: Save Big on Energy Use - "A typical central air conditioning unit uses 3,500 watts of energy when running. A typical ceiling fan uses 60 watts of energy, even when running on high."
- How Ceiling Fans Work
- A properly installed ceiling fan can reduce energy costs by 40%. (this is an archived article - it may look a bit unformatted)
Dimmer switches “allow you to produce mood lighting which can have a dramatic impact on the look and feel of a room. Different lighting can create a completely different atmosphere without the need to move any furniture around a room or redecorating…” [TheGreenAge.co.uk]
But just as important, dimmer switches also save energy and make your light bulbs last longer. You need to be aware, however, that older dimmer switches will not work with CFL or LED light bulbs. So be sure to call Wiretech Company to install the proper dimmer switches in your home.
See these websites for more information:
With the advent of tankless, on demand, water heaters we have come a long way in energy conservation from the old tank that holds 40-50 gallons of water that has to be heated continually for you to get that nice hot shower.
But what if you have a relatively new tank water heater or don’t have the money to purchase one of the latest and greatest tankless water heaters? Well, we have a solution to help you conserve power on that energy hog. Wiretech Company can install a water heater timer so that it can be set to come on an hour or so before you need it and keep it turned off when you don’t need it.
See this website for more information.
Energy Efficiency Articles
- 6 Ways to Improve Home Energy Efficiency in the WinterDuring the cold winter months, we tend to rely on our heating systems more. Even our lights get more use as the days get shorter. It’s easy for those months to become costly to our energy bills. Fortunately, much of that increased cost is pretty easy to offset. Your Wiretech team is here to help with a list of simple […]
- Saving Money with LEDsWhen purchasing light bulbs, you might not think much about the technology that’s inside them. But with recent advances and price reductions in energy-efficient LED light bulbs, it might make you think twice. In fact, depending on the energy costs where you live, you might be able to save up to 20% on your annual power […]
- Energy Efficiency• Easy Energy Efficiency Ideas for Your Home • I had read a while back that a way to conserve energy and save on our electric bill was to unplug our phone chargers when they weren’t in use. Who would have thought that such small and simple energy efficiency ideas could save us a bit of money! So being my normal OCD […]