Your appliances, including your washer, dryer, dishwasher and refrigerator, are major investments — and they contribute to your quality of life. Taking proper care of these items can help them last longer, perform better and even stay safer.
Tips for Appliance Care
What you need to do for each appliance will vary, since each machine has unique functions and needs.
Dishwasher Care Tips
Appliance care tips for your dishwasher include a thorough clean of your appliance at least every six months, or even more often if you use the dishwasher frequently. A thorough cleaning can help you spot problems, too.
To clean your dishwasher you will want to:
- Read the manual.
- Clean the drain filter, removing any debris.
- Remove and clean the spray arms.
- Check the drain hose.
- Run a wash cycle with just a dishwasher cleaning agent or with vinegar and baking soda to deodorize.
- Wipe down the outside and inside of the unit.
Caring for Your Washer and Dryer
You can maintain your washer and dryer by:
- Avoiding overloading these appliances, which can put added pressure on the motor, belt and other parts.
- Elevating the units on anti-vibration pads to avoid jolts to the system.
- Cleaning out the lint trap after every load of laundry.
- Making sure the dryer vent tube is not overly long or bent, as lint can get trapped inside the tube.
- Vacuuming the tube regularly.
- Every few years, scrubbing the dryer lint filter with a brush and mild dish detergent to remove dryer sheet residue.
- Cleaning your outside dryer vent to remove flammable dust.
Refrigerator Maintenance Tips
Your refrigerator uses a lot of power and is something you rely on every day. You can keep it functioning longer by:
- Cleaning the coils under the front grille or behind the fridge with a coil cleaning brush.
- Opening and closing the doors gently to avoid damaging the latch or doors.
- Fighting odors in your fridge by cleaning regularly and by keeping an open box of baking soda in the fridge and freezer.
- Eliminating serious odors by removing all items and placing crushed charcoal briquettes and wadded-up newspaper in the fridge for a few days, replacing them daily.
- Cleaning fridge gaskets with warm water and mild soap regularly to keep the seal tight, avoiding harsh detergents that could damage the material.
- Avoiding magnets on your stainless-steel fridge, as they can scratch the surface.
Tips for Microwave Care
Microwaves can help you heat food fast, but they can also benefit from a good wipe down and cleaning regularly. To clean the inside of your microwave, you can place a bowl of water with some lemon in it at high for about two minutes. The steam will loosen any mess inside so you can wipe it down. Another good tip is to avoid running your microwave empty, as doing so can damage the appliance.
Beyond Appliance Maintenance Tips
In addition to the above tips, your appliances and your home are much safer when your home has safe, up-to-date wiring. If you need appliance wiring or other electrical services in Raleigh, you can rely on Wiretech Company. Our professional, respected team has been helping Raleigh families with our residential electrical services since 1990. Contact us today to learn more.