Chances are, the lights in your house right now are high-quality LED lights. LED lighting has become the popular choice; not only because they are brighter than your usual incandescent or CFL bulbs, but also because they are more energy-efficient. While we usually take LEDs for granted, there are actually a lot of fascinating things to know about them. As a tribute to LED lights all over the world, Wiretech Company would like to offer up the following fascinating facts:
- LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. An LED is a type of semiconductor that converts electricity into light.
- Nick Holonyak, Jr., an American engineer and educator, was the inventor of the very first visible-spectrum LED, while working for GE in 1962. Instead of the usual infrared light; it emitted a visible red light.
- LED lights have a smaller environmental impact than your conventional incandescent bulbs. What’s more, they contain absolutely no mercury in them.
- Roughly 49,000,000 LED lights were already installed in most homes in the US in the year 2012.
- LED lighting can be found in a variety of applications and devices: from home lights, TVs, traffic lights, vehicle braking lights, and display case lighting.
- LED lighting uses energy in a very efficient manner, and generates very little heat; unlike standard incandescent bulbs which release 90% of their energy as pure heat or CFLs which release 80% of their energy as heat.
- LED lighting can last roughly 25 times longer than standard light bulbs: This means that they can have a useful life of 25,000 hours or more, or approximately three years of continuous use (running them 24/7).
- LEDs emit light in a specific direction, unlike incandescent or CFL bulbs which emit heat and light in all directions. This makes them ideal for recessed lighting or task lighting.
Wiretech Company’s highly-qualified electricians can help with all of your LED lighting installation needs! Whether you need recessed lighting, track lighting, under cabinet lighting, or even light switch repair and replacement; we can find the right lighting solution for your home. Call us up at 919-205-9830 or contact us online for all of your LED lighting inquiries and for more information.